Managing a FIRST Team these days is complicated. Trying to meet the students needs while managing mentors, youth protection policies, digital media, and complex non-profit finances is much more than anyone expects when agreeing to run a FIRST robotics team. Time with the students is why we do it, so how do we create more time for that and ensure that sustainability of our teams? Communication and documentation are they keys to managing a less stressful team and recovering some of that “feed your soul” time with the students.
Click on the button below to download the PowerPoint slides from the workshop presented September 21, 2021. Below that are the quick and easy reference links from the Survive and Thrive presentation.
Coming soon. The video and quick reference cheat sheets.
Workshop Easy Reference links
Below is a list of easy clickable links from the powerpoint for your easy access to the options and tools presented.
- Secure with strong and documented passwords in safe place.
- For organizational sustainability, ensure that multiple people have the passwords.
Closed Communication Tools
Team Cloud Service
- Document Template Sample
- Document index tip: a document in the main folder with a list of folders and some of the critical document links. If you name the document “1. Google Drive Documents Index” (the labeled with the number will ensure it is at the top alphabetically.
Online Meeting Tools
Imagery & Branding
- More information on Branding for FIRST Teams: www.explodingbacon.com/resources/big-bacon-theory/
- Branding and Digital Media Inventory
Digital Media Documentation Tool
- FIRST Team Branding and Digital Media Tool Right click link to download the MS Word Doc
- FIRST Robotics Competition Team Management Resources
- FIRST Robotics Competition Team Handbook Guidelines
- The Compass Alliance Team Organization
- 1816 The Green Machine Team Handbook Resources
- Sample outline
- Research tip: Search for FRC Team Handbooks for a variety of examples
Culture of FIRST Resources
- Gracious Professionalism
- The FIRST Core Values
- The Vision and Mission Statement
- A passion for inclusion